Filmmaker Neeraj Pandey withdraws title of ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’, SC disposes of plea

New Delhi:  The Supreme Court on Thursday disposed of a plea against the upcoming movie ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ after filmmaker Neeraj Pandey informed the court that he has withdrawn the title along with all publicity material.

A bench of Justices B V Nagarathna and Ujjal Bhuyan disposed of the plea after taking Pandey’s affidavit on record and said it is expected that there shall be a quietus to this controversy in all respects.

Pandey said in his affidavit that though the new title of the Manoj Bajpayee-starrer has not yet been finalised, it will not be similar to the earlier name.

The court recorded Pandey’s affidavit, in which he confirmed that the disputed title has been dropped and that a new name for the film is yet to be finalised. News agency PTI reported that the Bench described the filmmaker’s response as “positive”.

“They have now responded positively,” the court noted while disposing of the matter, adding that with the withdrawal of the title, it expected the controversy to reach a quietus.

The Bench also urged online commentators and YouTubers not to prolong the issue, noting that the dispute had been resolved through the filmmaker’s assurance.

In the affidavit filed before the court, Pandey stated that all trailers, posters and promotional material released under the original title had already been taken down. He further assured the court that the new title would not be similar, evocative, or capable of causing any unintended or offensive interpretation, and would accurately reflect the narrative of the film.

The assurance came after the Supreme Court flagged the original title as denigrative to a particular community and directed the filmmakers to ensure that neither the title nor the film’s content harmed communal dignity.

On 12 February, the Supreme Court had directed the makers of the film — which stars Manoj Bajpayee — to change the title, observing that it could not be permitted under the Constitution as it was denigrative of a particular community. The court had asked the producers to suggest an alternative name and file an affidavit detailing compliance.

The matter arose from a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) seeking a stay on the release of the film, alleging that the title and promotional material promoted caste- and religion-based stereotyping and hurt the dignity and sentiments of the Brahmin community.

During the hearing, Justice Nagarathna made strong oral observations on the limits of free speech, emphasising that constitutional protections under Article 19(1)(a) are subject to reasonable restrictions. She underscored the principle of fraternity in the Constitution, stating that no section of society should be denigrated through creative expression.

The PIL was filed by Mahender Chaturvedi, through Advocate Vineet Jindal, arguing that the term “Pandat” historically signifies scholarship and moral authority, and associating it with corruption amounted to stereotyping and defamation. The plea also raised concerns over the regulation of OTT platforms.

Earlier, the Delhi High Court was informed by Netflix that the producers had taken a conscious decision to change the film’s name. The High Court subsequently disposed of the petition after noting that the grievance was limited to the title.

With the Supreme Court now closing the case, the film will move forward under a revised title and updated promotional material.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *