New Delhi: India has been invited by US President Donald Trump to be part of the Board of Peace for Gaza along with other global partners, official sources said on Sunday.
Trump’s Board of Peace is being projected by Washington as a new international body to usher in peace and stability in Gaza and beyond, triggering speculation that it may respond to other global conflicts as well.
Originally, the new body was to be tasked with overseeing governance and coordinating funding for Gaza’s redevelopment as the strip was devastated during two years of Israeli military offensive.
Pakistan has also received an invitation to join the Gaza “Board of Peace”. India’s inclusion is seen as significant due to its longstanding and balanced ties with both Israel and Palestine. India maintains a strategic partnership with Israel while continuing humanitarian assistance and political engagement with Palestine. It was among the first nations to send relief material to Gaza through Egypt after the conflict began.
Israel’s envoy to India, Reuven Azar, had earlier said that Pakistan would be unacceptable to Israel for any future role connected to Gaza.
Diplomatic sources said India is considered acceptable to both Israel and Palestine because of its historic engagement with both sides. Over the years, India has consistently supported humanitarian efforts in Palestinian territories while strengthening defence, technology and strategic cooperation with Israel.
The board was formed on January 15 as part of President Trump’s 20-point peace plan for Gaza. Officials indicated that the mechanism could later be expanded to address other international conflicts.
Governments across the world have reacted cautiously to the invitations. Diplomats said several countries are concerned that the initiative could weaken the role of the United Nations in conflict resolution.
Only Hungary, whose leadership is closely aligned with President Trump, has publicly confirmed its acceptance. Invitations were reportedly sent to around 60 countries and began arriving in European capitals over the weekend. While most governments avoided public comment, officials speaking anonymously warned that the proposal could interfere with existing UN-led efforts, Reuters reported.
The White House has not yet detailed the specific responsibilities of individual board members and said additional names would be announced in the coming weeks.
A separate 11-member “Gaza Executive Board” is expected to include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan, UN Middle East peace coordinator Sigrid Kaag, UAE Minister of State for International Cooperation Reem Al-Hashimy, Israeli-Cypriot billionaire Yakir Gabay, and officials from Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said the composition of this board had not been coordinated with Israel and contradicted its policy. The objection is believed to relate to Turkey’s involvement, as Israel has opposed a Turkish role in Gaza-related matters. Israel also maintains a tense relationship with Qatar.
