Jerusalem: Israel’s Security Cabinet has approved Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s plan to take military control of Gaza City as part of a five-point aim primarily to “disarm” Hamas, a decision that triggered fears of further escalation in the nearly two-year war in the enclave.
The controversial decision to take control of Gaza City came amid massive anti-government protests across Israel demanding an immediate end to the war and ensuring the immediate return of over 50 hostages held captive by Hamas for the last 22 months.
“A decisive majority of Security Cabinet ministers believed that the alternative plan that had been submitted to the Security Cabinet would neither achieve the defeat of Hamas nor the return of the hostages,” Netanyahu’s office said.
Ahead of the Cabinet meeting, Netanyahu vowed to regain control of the entire territory, remove Hamas, and eventually transfer administration to “friendly Arab forces” opposed to the group. However, Israeli media reported that the country’s top military commander, Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir, warned the move could endanger the roughly 20 remaining living hostages and strain the army after prolonged regional conflicts. Families of hostages and former security officials have also voiced strong opposition.
A full-scale ground operation could displace tens of thousands more and disrupt aid deliveries. Already, humanitarian agencies report widespread hunger, with chaotic scenes at distribution sites often ending in deadly violence. Doctors Without Borders (MSF) accused the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF) — a U.S.- and Israel-backed aid system — of “orchestrated killing” due to alleged mismanagement at food distribution points. GHF has denied the claims, calling them part of a “disinformation campaign” by Hamas.
Netanyahu, in an interview with Fox News, insisted Israel’s aim was not long-term occupation but security. “We intend to assure our safety, remove Hamas, and hand Gaza over to Arab forces that can govern it without threatening us,” he said.
International observers warn that expanding military operations risks deepening Gaza’s humanitarian crisis and further isolating Israel diplomatically. As of Thursday, at least 42 Palestinians were reported killed in southern Gaza in Israeli strikes and shootings.
With three-quarters of the territory already under Israeli control, the decision signals a potential final push that could reshape the conflict’s trajectory — and its consequences for both Palestinians and Israelis.