London: Britain’s King Charles III has started a schedule of regular treatments after being diagnosed with cancer following his recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement and will be postponing his public duties, Buckingham Palace has said.
While the palace has not specified the form of cancer, it said the 75-year-old monarch has started treatment and remains “wholly positive”.
He will be postponing his public duties on medical advice but will continue with his duties as a Head of State such as essential paperwork and private meetings.
King Charles assumed the throne on September 8, 2022, following the passing of his mother, Queen Elizabeth, making him the longest-serving heir apparent in British history. His official coronation took place on May 6, 2023.
Despite concerns from some commentators about the potential for a more assertive and radical leadership style due to his background as an environmental campaigner, King Charles remains committed to fulfilling his royal duties after completing the necessary medical treatment.
In the last month, King Charles underwent a three-night hospital stay for a corrective procedure addressing an enlarged prostate. The revelation of the King’s cancer diagnosis coincides with the recovery of his daughter-in-law, Kate, the Princess of Wales, who recently underwent abdominal surgery, necessitating a hospitalization period of around two weeks.
Releasing the statement, Buckingham Palace said, “During The King’s recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted. Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer.”
It added, “His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties. Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.”
The Palace also said that Charles was grateful for his medical team’s quick intervention. “The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible.”
It further added that King Charles decided to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and “in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer”.