America’s worst shoot out claim 58 lives, cause injuries to 400: Gunman kills self

0
285

Las Vegas: A gunman killed 50 people and wounded hundreds more when he opened fire on a country music concert in Las Vegas in the deadliest mass shooting in modern US history.

Police said on Monday the gunman, a Nevada resident identified as Stephen Paddock, had been found dead after a SWAT team responded to reports of multiple gunfire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay, a hotel-casino next to the concert venue.

At least eight rifles were recovered from the room that had been rented by the 64-year-old.

Thousands of fans were attending the concert next to the Mandalay Bay as part of a three-day country music festival known as Route 91.

The Latest on the shooting in Las Vegas: (updates in local time)

1:30 p.m.

A bell tolled three times as a solemn President Donald Trump paused on the White House South Lawn for a moment of silence to honor the victims of Sunday’s mass shooting in Las Vegas.

Flanked by first lady Melania Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and his wife, Karen, Trump walked out onto the lawn for the memorial moment Monday afternoon.

The White House’s flag was at half-staff.

They were honoring the 58 people killed Sunday night when a gunman opened fire on a concert crowd in Las Vegas.

Police say Stephen Craig Paddock was on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay casino-hotel tower Sunday night when he fired into the Route 91 Harvest festival. More than 500 people were wounded.

1:21 p.m.

A brother of the suspect in the worst U.S. mass shooting in the modern history says Stephen Craig Paddock was “not a normal guy” and frequently played high stakes video poker.

Eric Paddock in an interview in Orlando, Florida, says his 64-year-old brother once “texted me a picture that he won $40,000 on a slot machine.”

He says his brother was “not a normal guy” and “played high stakes video poker.”

Eric Paddock says last had contact with him via text messages in September.

He says his brother being named by authorities as the shooting suspect was “like if an asteroid fell out of the sky.”

Authorities say Paddock opened fire on a crowd of concert-goers at an outdoor country-music show in Las Vegas on Sunday night, leaving 58 people dead and more than 500 wounded.

1:12 p.m.

Authorities say law enforcement members from across California are among those wounded in a mass shooting at a country music festival in Las Vegas.

The Los Angeles Police Department says Monday that an off-duty officer who was shot in the leg is expected to recover.

LA County Sheriff’s officials say two off-duty department employees were hit by gunfire Sunday. One was critically injured and the other is stable.

Orange County authorities say one off-duty sheriff’s deputy and two wives of department employees sustained non-life-threatening wounds.

Bakersfield police say one of its off-duty officers wounded in the gunfire is expected to survive.

Police in Ontario say a 24-year-old officer who was wounded is stable. The officer’s wife had minor injuries.

Sunday’s shooting killed 58 people and injured more than 500 others.

12:45 p.m.

Authorities say a woman who was a companion of the Las Vegas shooter is considered a person of interest and is out of the country.

Sheriff Joe Lombardo didn’t release further details Monday about the woman but said authorities would try to speak with her when she got back to the United States.

Authorities have yet to identify a motive for the shooting that killed 58 people at an outdoor country music concert but say they believe 64-year-old Stephen Craig Paddock acted alone.

12:40 p.m.

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday expressed his condolences in a message to US leader Donald Trump, saying a deadly mass shooting in Las Vegas was “shocking in its cruelty.”

“The crime that has taken the lives of tens of peaceful civilians is shocking in its cruelty,” Putin said according to a statement from the Kremlin.

It said the Russian president had expressed the words of support to the families of the victims.

12:20 p.m.

The CIA is advising caution on “jumping to conclusions” after the Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the Las Vegas shooting.

Agency spokesman Jonathan Liu says U.S. intelligence agencies are aware of the claim of responsibility. But he says people shouldn’t rush to judgment “before the facts are in.”

The CIA is deferring to law enforcement on the status of the investigation.

Without providing any evidence, the Islamic State group on Monday said the gunman in the mass shooting in Las Vegas was “a soldier” from its ranks who had converted to Islam months ago.

11:17 a.m.

President Donald Trump has ordered that flags be flown at half-staff to honor the victims of a mass shooting in Las Vegas. At least 58 people were killed and hundreds injured in the shooting Sunday night at a country music concert.

Trump issued a proclamation Monday ordering flags be flown at half-staff until sunset Oct. 6.

The proclamation covers flags at the White House and all public buildings, military posts, naval stations and naval vessels throughout the United States and all territories. It also extends to embassies, military facilities and other sites overseas.

In the proclamation, Trump says the nation “is heartbroken.”

11:15 a.m.

The FBI says the shooter who killed 58 people and injured more than 500 others at a Las Vegas concert had no connection to an international terrorist group.

The announcement from Special Agent in Charge Aaron Rouse at a news conference Monday comes after the Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack without providing evidence.

The extremist group claimed that the shooter was “a soldier” who had converted to Islam months ago. It has made exaggerated or false claims in the past.

Authorities have yet to identify a motive for the shooting but say they believe 64-year-old Stephen Craig Paddock acted alone. He killed himself after the shooting.

11:10 a.m.

Sheriff Joe Lombardo says the death toll from the Las Vegas shooting has risen to 58, with 515 people injured. A gunman opened fire on a Las Vegas country music festival Sunday night.

The gunman opened fire from inside the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino.

Authorities say 64-year-old Stephen Craig Paddock killed himself after the shooting. Police have yet to determine a motive.

11:07 a.m.

President Donald Trump is delivering a message of unity in the wake of the deadliest mass shooting in recent U.S. history.

Trump says in a somber White House address that: “in moments of tragedy and horror, America comes together as one. And it always has.”

He says that “Our unity cannot be shattered by evil” and “our bonds cannot be broken by violence.”

Trump says he and first lady Melania Trump are praying for those who have been lost and wounded. He says they are praying “for the entire nation to find unity and peace.”

11:03 a.m.

President Donald Trump says he will travel to Las Vegas on Wednesday.

He spoke Monday morning, hours after the shooting at a country music festival late Sunday killed at least 50 people and wounded more than 400. It is the worst mass shooting in American history.

Trump said the nation must stay unified. He said that although “feel such great anger at the senseless murder of our fellow citizens, it is our love that binds us today and always will.”

10: 54 a.m.

President Donald Trump is calling the mass shooting attack in Las Vegas “an act of pure evil.”

Trump says the nation is joined together today in sadness, shock and grief.

Trump is addressing the attack on a country music festival Sunday night that left at least 50 people dead and more than 400 injured.

Trump tweeted his “warmest condolences and sympathies” earlier Monday morning.

The gunman opened fire from inside the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino.

Authorities say 64-year-old Stephen Craig Paddock killed himself after the shooting. Police have yet to determine a motive.

7:10 a.m.

No report of any Indian national affected in the Las Vegas shooting incident: Ministry of External Affairs.

7:00 a.m.

Former US President Barack Obama expressed his grief after the Las Vegas shooting that killed more than 50 people and left over 400 injured.

6:55 a.m.

Las Vegas authorities are calling for blood donations and setting up a hotline to report missing people in the wake of a mass shooting that injured more than 400 people and killed 50 at a country music concert Sunday night.

Las Vegas police said Monday that it will take time to identify all of the injured and dead in what was the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.

The number to report missing people is (866) 535-5654. Police have also opened a “family reunification center” for people to find loved ones at 400 S. Martin L. King Blvd., in Building B.

Las Vegas police say anyone who wants to help can give blood at one of two locations in Las Vegas and nearby Henderson. A blood drive is also being planned.

6:30 a.m.

The brother of the man who killed at least 50 people at an outdoor music festival on the Las Vegas Strip says he’s “completely dumbfounded” by the shooting, which is the deadliest in modern U.S. history.

In a brief interview with the Orlando Sentinel, Eric Paddock says he can’t understand what happened. He also said he’s made a statement to police.

Country music star Jason Aldean was performing Sunday night at the end of the three-day Route 91 Harvest Festival when the gunman opened fire from inside the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino.

Authorities say 64-year-old Stephen Craig Paddock killed himself after the shooting. Police have not yet determined a motive.

6:30 a.m.

Pope Francis is calling the Las Vegas shooting a “senseless tragedy” and is assuring victims of his prayers.

The Vatican secretary of state sent a telegram of condolences Monday to the bishop of Las Vegas, saying the pope was “deeply saddened” to learn of the shooting.

The telegram said Francis praised the efforts of police and emergency crews.

In the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history, a gunman opened fire on an outdoor concert, killing at least 50 people and injuring more than 400 others.

5.45 a.m.

Police said on Monday they believe the gunman who opened fire on concertgoers on the Las Vegas strip killed himself before officers broke into his hotel room.

“We believe the individual killed himself prior to our entry,” Las Vegas Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told a news conference.

He said officers found “in excess of 10 rifles” upon entering the 32nd floor hotel room from which a gunman opened fire at concertgoers below, killing at least 50 and injuring hundreds.

5.35 a.m.

More than 400 victims were taken to hospital after a mass shooting in Las Vegas which left 50 people dead, police said on Monday.

Approximately 406 people were transported to area hospitals, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said in a statement which also put the toll from Sunday night’s shooting at 50.

Police had previously said at least 50 people had been killed at the country music festival and put the number of injured at more than 200.

It was not immediately clear if the 406 included anyone who was later pronounced dead in hospital.

5.30 a.m.

Las Vegas police found at least eight guns in the 32nd floor hotel room from which a gunman opened fire at concert goers below, killing at least 50 and injuring more than 200, police said.

Undersheriff Kevin McMahill told CNN a police SWAT team found “a number of long rifles” after confronting the gunman in the hotel room.

“There was at least eight guns,” he said.

5:20 a.m.

The Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department says two of its off-duty members were shot during the attack at a Las Vegas concert.

Authorities say both were taken to the hospital, where one remains in critical condition and the other was in stable condition.

Officials did not immediately release their names.

Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo says at least 50 people were killed and more than 200 people were wounded when a gunman opened fire at the Route 91 Harvest Music Festival on the Strip.

Authorities have identified the suspected gunman as 64-year-old Stephen Paddock. Paddock died after police confronted him on Sunday on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay casino-hotel tower on the Las Vegas Strip.

5:15 a.m.

Las Vegas police say they’ve determined that a woman they were seeking is no longer considered a “person of interest” in the deadly mass shooting at a country music festival.

Police say they don’t believe 62-year-old Marilou Danley was involved in the Sunday night shooting that killed at least 50 people and wounded more than 200.

Police initially said they were seeking the woman who may have been the roommate of the shooter.

The gunman has been identified as 64-year-old Stephen Paddock.

Paddock died after police confronted him on Sunday on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay casino-hotel tower on the Las Vegas Strip.

IN PICS | Shooting on Las Vegas strip killed over 50, wounds more than hundred

4:40 a.m.

Authorities say the on-duty police officer who was wounded at the deadly Las Vegas concert attack is out of surgery and in stable condition.

The unnamed officer was one of two on-duty Las Vegas police officers wounded on Sunday night. The other sustained minor injuries.

4:30 a.m.

President Donald Trump is extending condolences to the victims of the shooting in Las Vegas and their families.

In a tweet on Monday, Trump offered, “My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!”

White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Trump was “briefed on the horrific tragedy in Las Vegas.”

Sanders said that “we are monitoring the situation closely.”

3:30 a.m.

A Nevada sheriff says the death toll has climbed to 50 in the attack on a Las Vegas concert on Sunday, making it the deadliest shooting in modern U.S. history.

Clark County Sheriff Joseph Lombardo says more than 200 people were wounded at the Route 91 Harvest Music Festival on the Strip.

Authorities have identified the suspected gunman as Las Vegas resident Stephen Paddock.

Lombardo says officers confronted Paddock on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino across the street from the concert. Paddock is dead.

Authorities say they have located 62-year-old Marilou Danley, who was wanted as a person of interest in this incident.

The dead gunman is also believed to have checked in as a hotel guest.

Several officers from California were attending the outdoor Route 91 Harvest Music Festival on Sunday when a gunman opened fire. A Bakersfield Police officer was shot and taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Authorities have not released any of their identities.

More than 100 people were injured.

Lombardo says the suspect is dead.

The sheriff says they believe this was a “lone wolf” attack but said they are looking for a roommate of the dead suspect as a person of interest.

LEAVE A REPLY